Knowing ourselves intimately has all sorts of positive effects on our lives.
Today I had a good friend ask to talk with me privately. Of course anyone in that situation would wonder and anticipate a serious conversation with potentially negative effects.
It was a disappointing conversation.
As we sat and talked briefly I couldn’t help but think about how I would have responded differently in the past.
The fact that I have worked very hard on knowing myself and my inner dialogue intimately I was quickly able to process through the situation and in turn be honest and vulnerable with him.
Did the news hurt? Yes, it sure did.
I can accept the hurt and move forward with my day. I can have a more honest internal conversation with myself. I can accept myself for who I am and be genuinely happy for him
When we refuse the get to know ourselves at this level we are often left to reacting emotionally to situations. Reactionary thinking and actions are rarely beneficial in the long term.
I have found that much of the counseling process is self-discovery. Once we can more fully understand ourselves we can begin to change.
Let’s do a quick recap.
When we know and understand ourselves we can:
- Accept disappointing news and understand how it truly affects us.
- We can be honest with ourselves and with others.
- We can better communicate how we are feeling.
- We can better cope with life as it is unpredictable and unfair.
- We can love and accept ourselves better. This means that we can love and accept others better.
- We can change!