My opinion is that most people make decisions while in a reactionary mode.
In other words, most people live their lives reacting to the environment or circumstances around them.
I present to my clients five ways of thinking the does/will dictate our lives.
1. Reactionary Thinking (This is driven by the immediacy of our emotions).
2. Short Term Thinking (This is simply trying to make it through the day or week).
3. Critical Thinking (This is the ability to abstract think and think steps ahead in details, this counters reactionary thinking).
4. Long Term Thinking (This is the ability to look down the road, set goals, and formulate plans on how to achieve those goals. Successful people are critical long term thinkers.
5. Legacy Thinkers (This is the ability to look past yourself into the future after you are gone. This is where your purpose in life comes into play. How will you be remembered? How will you impact the world that lasts longer than you do?)
As you can see these different types of thinking patterns are distinctly different and therefore has distinctly different effects on individuals using them.
First ask yourself; what kind of life do I want to have?
Next use the appropriate thinking to formulate a plan to begin the journey. Hint you will have to use critical, and long term thinking.
Beginning to look at life past the circumstances you are in will have a significant impact on your life.